Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Film Frenzy...

The wind has picked up... and the temperature has dropped. After 3 days of fog and rain, we may actually get to experience winter again. Hooray! It's January afterall... it's supposed to be snowy and cold. Of course, as I write this, Hubby is probably already wearing shorts and enjoying warm weather. He was offered an opportunity to go to Orlando, Florida and run in Saturday's Disney Half-Marathon. How could he say no?! Wouldn't it be great to be fit enough to run a half-marathon on a week's notice... :-) Have fun Babe - miss you already!!

While Hubby's away, I will likely continue to catch up on movies. I really enjoy going to the movie theatre and we're very fortunate here in Ottawa to have our own repertory cinema... great films for a great price!

Last weekend, I saw two films, both of them so different and both of them brilliant... On Saturday, we went to see Juno. There's a lot of buzz surrounding this film, and deservedly so. The dialogue is the quick & clever and the casting is inspired. Gotta give props to the high Canadian content in this film too: filmed in Vancouver, directed by Jason Reitman and starring Michael Cera and newcomer Ellen Page - Canadians all.

Then on Sunday, my favourite movie buddy, Ted, & I went to see The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. Great film telling the incredible true story of Jean-Dominique Bauby, a French magazine editor who suffered a debilitating stroke at the age of 42. The diving bell refers to his locked-in body, completely paralyzed except for his left eyelid. The butterfly represents his imagination - fully intact, active and able to carry him wherever he wants. He went on to dictate a best-selling book using only his eye. Incroyable! I was especially moved by back-to-back scenes of fathers & sons in reversed roles: sons becoming parent to the fathers. It immediately reminded me of a very personal image from the past: my husband feeding his father who was dying of cancer. (He died seven years ago today, in fact.) Needless to say, the tears were streaming down my cheeks...

Sooo, I'm flying solo for a few days and will likely focus on creating space for my 2008 intentions to take flight: creativity, connection, celebration.

Pace e bene,

No comments: