Tuesday, May 08, 2007

To swap...or not to swap?

I went wild at a book swap today. Some of you may know that I am on a self-imposed book-buying moratorium. I have only slipped twice since last September, both times buying books related to my new career path. The main reason for this moratorium is that I already own many, many books - including a large number that I have never even read. I figured if I focussed on reading the books already waiting for me on my shelves, I could save a bundle. Plus, the clutter. Oh, the clutter! Did I really need any more?? Indeed, it seems I had problems walking out of a bookstore empty-handed.

The transition has been easier than I expected. I use the public library more, and I seek to borrow books rather than to automatically buy them. And of course, there are still all those un-read books of my own. However today, at work, they organized a book swap. You could bring in books that you no longer wanted, and pick up books given by others. All for the price of a non-perishable food donation for the local food bank. What a great idea! All those months of non-acquisition mode were wiped out in a single 20-minute period. I walked out of there with 12 books, some of them for me... some to offer to others. Here's a sampling:
and the award for "Most Unusual Title" goes to...
All that, and more. All in all, a very good haul! Now, about that clutter...
PAX,

1 comment:

Steph said...

Woohoo! Thanks Sis! I look forward to reading that book.

Oh and I might borrow the Safety & Security for Women who Travel someday ... you never know. :)

Steph
xo