Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Parla inglese?

In preparation for my trip to Italy this summer, Hubby bought me an Italian PhraseFinder & Dictionary for Christmas. It's organized primarily by "situation" or theme. I often browse through it when I'm on the bus or waiting in line, quietly whispering the words to myself in a way that I hope does not butcher it too badly...

Here are a few phrases that I'll definitely need:
  • Non parlo italiano. (I don't speak Italian.)
  • Può ripetere, per favore? (Can you repeat that please?)
  • Come si arriva alla stazione ferroviaria? (How do I get to the train station?)
  • A che ora servite la colazione? (When is breakfast served?)
  • Può dirmi per favore il posto migliore per fare compere? (Please tell me the best place for shoping.)
  • Cerco una taglia piccola. (I'm looking for a size small.)
Here are a few phrases that I will definitely NOT need:
  • Dove posso trovare un locale con musica hip-hop? (Where can I find a hip hop club?)
  • Doppio, per favore! (Make it a double, please.)
  • Le va di ballare? (Would you like to dance?)
  • Lei mi sembra la persona più interessante in questo posto. (You look like the most interesting person in the room.)
  • Puoi preparare la colazione anche per me? (Will you make me breakfast too?)
  • Mi aiuti a toglierlo? (Would you help me out of this?)
  • Credo che questo sia stato un errore. (I think this was a mistake.)
Here are a few phrases that I HOPE I will not need:
  • Scusi! Quella era la mia fermata! (Excuse me! That was my stop!)
  • Mi serve qualcosa per la diarrea. (I need something for diarrhea.)
  • Ferma! Al ladro! (Stop! Thief!)
  • Chiama un medico, presto! (Please call a doctor!)
  • Mi aiuti... Ho perso il passaporto. (Help me... I lost my passport.)
  • Devo chiamare la mia ambasciata. (I need to call my embassy.)
Grazie.

No comments: