Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Divine assistance...

It is said that God looks out for fools & drunks. I'd have to say She has a soft spot for procrastinators as well...

I finally went to the gym today. I was reminded a while back that I have free access to a small, yet well-equipped, exercise room through my workplace. As the temperature continues to linger in the sub-sub-zero zones, the thought of going for a run doesn't hold much appeal for me. Call me a fair-weather runner. So, I figured it was time to look for alternatives.

I knew an indoor treadmill was an option, but I'd been putting off actually going to the gym to try it out. Why? Simple: I've never really used a treadmill before. I don't know how to turn one on. I don't know how to control the speed. I don't know how to stay upright. I have visions of me flying backwards, flailing and failing to keep up with the machine. Finally, I don't know how I can try running on a treadmill without looking (and feeling) like a complete idiot.

Thoughts of the stationary bicycle finally got me to the gym. My strategy? If, at first glance, the treadmill looks completely overwhelming, I'll try spinning for a while. At least I'll be sitting down.

I took a late lunch to avoid the "rush hour". In the change room, who should I bump into but a former co-worker! Coincidence? I think not... She comes to the gym regularly to use the treadmill and other machines. (What luck!!) Would she be willing to show me how it works? Of course, she says. Woohoo! Personal lessons. Not only did I manage 25 minutes on the treadmill (running & walking), but with her guidance, I also tried the elliptical, the stationary bike, the rowing machine...

Now, with my ego back in its proper place, and thanks to a convenient "coincidence", I have options on those bone-chilling days. Like I said, God surely has a soft spot for fools, drunks AND proud procrastinators...

PAX,

No comments: