Friday, January 26, 2007

Hats off to Mr. Burns...

Yesterday was Robbie Burns Day. I see the signs on local pub storefronts... I see the clip on the news... but admittedly, I don't know a whole heckuva lot about it. That's why I appreciated my buddy Stuart's post at waldencabin.com. It gave me a wee glimpse into one of the traditions associated with this celebration - and it made me shudder!

Things got a little less queasy when I went to the Rabbie Burns tribute site. There, I discovered that most of us honour Master Burns at the birth of the new year by singing - or at least singing parts of - one of his most famous compositions. One can only imagine how badly that poem has been butchered by drunken hoards... Oh well, can't be worse than boiled sheep stomach with ground organs.

Although I find the language difficult to decipher, I discovered that this poem - an ode to the little critter who sometimes wreaks havoc in my kitchen - is the source of the expression "best laid plans of mice & men". I've used that expression before but had no clue where it came from.

But Mousie, thou art no thy lane,
In proving foresight may be vain:
The best-laid schemes o mice an men
Gang aft agley,
An lea'e us nought but grief an pain,
For promis'd joy!

I wonder what expressions from our era they'll still be using 250 years from now? Frightening thought...

PAX,

No comments: