Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Life Lessons...

Six years ago today, my father-in-law passed away. I thought I would remember him in a special way by posting what I sent to friends & family a couple of weeks after his death.

"The last month has been quite intense. I am sad to write that my father-in-law, John Lawless, passed away on January 9, 2001. He died just 50 days after being diagnosed with cancer, long enough for us to say good-bye, but not so long that his pain became a long-term reality. As difficult as this has been for us all, my faith has been given a boost. I have been inspired by the courage, compassion and kindness of those involved in John's care, especially during his last days. The V.O.N., the Red Cross homecare workers, the hospice volunteers, even the doctor who made a housecall on New Year's Day... And the family who chose to care for him at home, allowing him the dignity of dying where he had lived and loved. It was my first close experience with death, and as weird as this may sound, it was a positive one. Painful, but in a healthy way... I honestly feel that it was a privilege to be a part of this myterious and powerful stage of a person's life.

The outpouring at John's funeral was overwhelming. The church was standing-room only with an estimated 600 people gathered to celebrate his life. Hearing others share their "John stories" with me, I realized how simple it is to have an impact on someone's life: a smile, eye contact, a joke, fresh flowers from the garden, a warm welcome, a basket of berries... and a couple of dozen of chocolate chip cookies, or a pie or two! :-)

And so, today's message is mostly about John - his life and his death. I needed to share some of the insights I have gained over the past month or so - it is part of my grieving process, I guess. Most importantly, I've learned that we can never really know how we touch people's lives. I'm sure John never expected people to remember his kindnesses as much as they do... It was never his motivation, it was just his way. It's been a trying time - thanks for letting me share this with you..."

Here we are, six years later, and his life still inspires me... Thanks John - I'm sure God is enjoying your cookies & gardens as much as we did!! Oh, and say Hi to Hobbes for me... :-)

PAX,

No comments: