Thursday, October 12, 2006

Writings from the Still Point - Day 3

IF THE (RUNNING) SHOE FITS...

I've added a new element to my spiritual practice here at Stillpoint: running. I ran 5km (+/-) on Friday and probably 3.5 - 4km today. The 10:1 intervals are still working well for me. I run based on time, not distance, but I'm starting to get a wee sense of how far I can run in a given time.

I've recently been introduced to the concept of a spiritual practice as any activity that helps me grow in effectiveness and usefulness to God and to my fellows. This definition really appeals to me because it recognizes my desire to be of service to others, yet it allows plenty of room for self-care. In fact, it demands it. How could I possibly be of any use to God - or anyone else - if I am unhealthy, uncentred, low in energy or (insert other symptom of dis-ease here)?! The priority becomes clear.

This awareness came to me as I was running: I am keeping my body fit, which in turn allows me to maximize my efficiency and usefulness to God. Running as a spiritual practice - it just fits.


PAX,

1 comment:

Becks said...

well put & i couldn't agree more. glad to read that your retreat was so nice. -r