Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Writings from the Still Point - Day 1


BATTERY EXHAUSTED...

I never thought I'd be grateful for an exhausted battery, but as my digital camera displayed the dire news, I realized it was a blessing. There I was, standing in one of my favourite places on Earth (tiny dock at Stillpoint) at my favourite time of the year (fall foliage), and rather than letting go and enjoying the moment, I was desperately trying to own it... to capture it so that I could have that moment again and again. And as the sun began to set over the Madawaska River, God sent me a text message: Warning! Battery Exhausted. Momentary confusion - is She talking about the camera... or about me?!

Then the lesson in that moment became clear. God was telling me: "Put the camera down and experience this gift that is before you. Don't grasp. Don't clutch. Don't hold on. I am a God of Abundance and I won't leave you wanting."

So I stood there and watched the sun make its way to the other side of the world. And when there was nothing left but the sharp scent of dusk, I realized that my own battery didn't feel quite so exhausted. Funny, that.

PAX,

No comments: