Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Coincidences? I think not!

I moved into a new office today. Just as I was getting settled into the other one, where I've been since June, I was told last week that I'd be moving to a different building. After unpacking boxes and trying to get organized for most of the morning, I decided to go downstairs for a late lunch. My new building has a beautiful atrium - complete with waterfall - and several quick lunch deli type places.

As I walked through the atrium, I spotted a good friend I hadn't seen in several months. She, too, had recently moved to the vicinity, just a half-block away. "Coincidence" #1.

Nancy was munching & chatting with another woman and I popped over to say Hi. She looked at me with a somewhat shocked look on her face, and looked over to her companion. I glanced over and was equally stunned. I was looking at my sister! "Coincidence" #2.

I joined them and we started to catch up on news. Nancy shared that she had just finished a half-day training session to become a fire warden in her building. Five minutes later, a fire alarm rang throughout the atrium. "Coincidence" #3.

We looked around wondering if we should exit the building. In light of her recent training, Nancy suggested that perhaps we should. We headed over to Bridgehead Coffee House across the street. As we headed towards a free table, someone cried out my name. It was Giacomo, a work-related acquaintance from my former job. "Coincidence" #4.

I hadn't seen Giacomo since the spring. He took a five-month leave of absence from his job in order to complete a solo trek in East Africa. For stunning photos and a journal capturing his journey, check out his website. I've always enjoyed working with Giacomo. He has a great energy about him, one that - in my opinion - inspires people to want to follow his lead. Upon returning from his 3-month trip, and taking time to just be, he decided to resign from his position and nourish his passion: community radio. Hear him on Monday morning's Special Blend on CKCU. As he shared this news, I glanced over to my sister, who is currently on a one-year sabbatical to simply be and to explore her own life's calling. "Coincidence" #5.

Every single moment in this series of events was fully dependant upon the previous moment. The web of inter-connectedness was strong! I was not looking forward to moving today... yet as a result of that decision, I connected with three beautiful souls in a way I couldn't have possibly planned on my own. The Universe really does take care of its own. We need only be open to the possibility of "coincidences".

PAX,

No comments: