Thursday, June 07, 2007

Inside Out...

I had lunch with a friend today. As part of our catching up, I shared that I was feeling a little "superficial" (although I don't think I used that word). I find I'm in a doing phase lately, and I haven't really been focussing much on my being. In reading my blog posts over the last while, I notice that they're very outward-looking, especially when I compare with some of my earlier posts. It's not that this is a bad thing, it's just an interesting observation, I think. Her response made me pause. She said: "If you're mostly focussing on outside stuff, it must mean that you're feeling really good on the inside." Hmmm, I think there's some truth to that.

One "outward" thing that I'm enjoying these days is re-discovering my camera. I haven't really looked at the world through a camera lens in quite some time. Last fall, I bought a small digital camera and, for the first time in many years (or so it seems), I'm really looking at what is around me. Where is the unexpected beauty? What is unique about the built environment that surrounds me? Where can I find art? What is my art?

I still need to make sure I stay centred, and I suspect my seven-day meditation retreat in July will only nourish that. Except, perhaps, for the distracting surroundings. Have I mentioned that my retreat is in Tuscany?? :-) Only 30 days away...

Finally, I just need to say a huge THANK YOU to our Ottawa Senators for a wild, wild ride. Although Stanley's Cup didn't make it home (this time), this city really showed up for the effort. À la prochaine!

No comments: