Thursday, March 29, 2007

Bear. With Me.

Hubby was out of town last weekend. He was busy posting yet another personal best at the historic Around the Bay road race in Hamilton. Last year, he came in 2385th out of 4110 runners. Granted, he did not have a good race in 2006. But this year, after focussing on his training in a BIG way, he finished an astounding 268th out of 4369 runners. By finishing the 30km distance in less that 2:15, he merited a shiny silver medal! His final chip time was 2:12:26 and I'm very proud of him.

It's amazing how we get comfortable having that special someone around. Even for just a few nights alone, I found myself reaching for a faithful friend. Known simply as "Bear", he's been in my life for over 30 years. His nose is missing, his fur is clumped and his eyes look downright evil, but he's been with me even when life wasn't so pretty.

Bear was even kidnapped in 1985-1986. I'm afraid it was my fault, since I brought him into university residence in the first place. After being missing for two days or so, I found him bound and gagged, along with Celia Jenny (my Cabbage Patch kid), in my closet. But he was alive... traumatized, but alive!

Interestingly, Hubby's been back since Monday, but Bear is still managing to squeeze into bed with me. It's wonderful to re-discover a sqooshy old friend!

Bear. With Me. Through Thick. And Thin.

PAX,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Give my congrats to Brian... WAY TO GO BRIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steph said...

I love this post ... and I love the picture of Bear!

Sis

ps - And of course a HUGE kudos to Bro-in-Law!!! YAY!

jag said...

Dear Anonymous:
I'd love to give Brian "your" congrats, but I don't know who "you" are! :-)