Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Awarding Achievement...

What if you held an awards show, and nobody knew...?

I'm about to divulge a national secret: the 28th Annual Genie Awards, celebrating the best in Canadian film, were held last Monday. Who knew?! No indication from the Ottawa newspapers the next morning: the front page displayed a photo of Hilary Swank, two-time Academy award winner, who was in town to give a speech at a motivational seminar. As a Canadian, should I be alarmed?!

And this was a big year for Canadian film... there certainly was a lot of hype here about our presence at the Oscars. Ellen Page, Oscar nominee, was on the front page of most Ottawa newspapers the day after the Academy Awards. She didn't win, by the way. Yet, when it comes to honouring our own, here at home... silence. Dare I say, indifference? I didn't watch the Genies, so I'm not standing from a pulpit when I say this: what's wrong with this picture?! Why didn't I even know they were on? And why the heck were they on at 10pm on a Monday night?!

The big winner was Sara Polley and her film, Away from Her - an amazing film, IMO. I think Julie Christie and Gordon Pinsent should win an award for the Best-looking Onscreen Couple - they are so beautiful in this movie! I couldn't take my eyes of them... (Amazingly, Pinsent is 77 years old!!) I'm happy to see that they both took home Genies for their Leading Roles in this film.

While I'm on the topic of award shows, I feel compelled to share my "Best Moment at the Oscars" with you. By far, it was the award for Best Song by Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova. I was thrilled that this beautiful music - one of the main characters of the film Once - was recognized. Way to go for the little guys!! Remember, you first heard about it here. :-)

Pace e bene,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I might be off in saying this but

Art transcends national boundries...

If you agree that the Oscars represents the best of the best, including international films (not just American, though it is certainly American dominated... yet at which Away From Her was nominated - at least Julie Christie was for her role in the film)

It would be easy to see why the media overlooks an awards show which honors the best of a small subset of the best (in this case Canadian films)...