Thursday, March 27, 2008

Stillness...

"Some say that busyness is a form of laziness.
Because you're too lazy to work out what not to do." - Michael Bungay Stanier

I tend to read a lot of blogs... and I receive several e-newsletters... and every once in a while, I read something that makes me gasp. That's what happened when I read the provocative statement by Bungay Stanier. I think it's brilliant! We wear our busyness as a badge of honour, while in fact, it may simply point to our inability to reflect on our priorities and make meaningful (and often difficult) choices.

His assertion came as part of a short article in his e-newsletter called The Power of Standing Still. He states that:
1. Stillness gives you power, and
2. Stillness influences the system.

As a meditator, I was intrigued by how this message can apply to my worklife. For a vivid demonstration of how stillness can affect our environment, it was suggested to check out this 2-minute video from ImprovEverywhere. (Apparently it's been around for a while, but it was new to me - and it gave me chills!)

Now, because I strive for a balanced life, this weekend will be all about movement. :-) Hubby & I are off to Hamilton for the Around the Bay Road Race. He'll run the 30K while I'll be happy with finishing my 5K. There will be plenty of time for stillness after that, I'm sure!

Pace e bene,

No comments: