Monday, October 22, 2007

Running for a van...

"When the solution is simple, God is answering." -- Albert Einstein.

...and the answer I received is "Get out of your own head and take a look at what's going on around you." Simple solution indeed.

I was inspired by several stories I read in the newspaper this past weekend. One in particular moved me to take action. Stick with me on this...

Amanda George is a local woman, a single mom (widow) raising two kids. Her youngest one, Geordi, has special needs. Geordi was born with severe cerebral palsy, scoliosis, an abnormally small skull and a seizure disorder. As a result of unbelievably tight muscles and dislocated hips, his body does not bend. He has a wheelchair that allows him to always be reclined. Problem is, the chair doesn't fit in a car. To go anywhere, Amanda George has to carry her 12-year old son. Amanda George needs a van... and she's gathered up the courage to ask for help.

As I went for a run on a beautiful Sunday morning, the story of this gutsy family stayed with me. I reflected on how difficult it has been for me to get motivated to get out and run. The motivation just wasn't coming from within... so I decided to get out of my head and give myself a reason to run. Are you still with me??

I'm registered to run an 8Km race in Philadelphia on November 18th. (Hubby is running the marathon.) I've never run 8Km before... and I'd like to run this race for Geordi's Van. I want to finish the race in less than an hour. I run 5Km in about 30 minutes at race pace, so factor in fatigue, and I think that's do-able... if I train and build up my stamina. For every minute BELOW an hour, I'll donate 10$ to one boy one van. Can you see where I'm goin' here?!

Will you join me? Not in running :-) but in helping Geordi and his family get their van. You may choose to pledge an amount per minute below an hour, as I have done. Or, you may prefer to simply make a donation. If you can't participate in this way, please keep us all in your prayers... especially on November 18th!

Read the story the inspired me here.
Find out how to donate here.

Pace e bene,

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok. SOunds like a good cause.
We will give you $5.00 for every Minute under 1 Hour. GOOD LUCK

Love Jim Melanie Megan And Chelea

jag said...

Merci beaucoup! Oh boy, the pressure is on now... :-) I'll let you know how it goes.

Sending you hugs!
"Matante"
xox

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

You've got my support Jo-Anne: $4 for every minute under an hour.

Good luck,
Giacomo

jag said...

Hey, this is great Giacomo - mille grazie!

Steph said...

Hi!
I'll give you a $20 "flat fee" donation plus $2 for every minute under an hour.

You go!

Sis :)
xo