Monday, December 11, 2006

A visual meditation...

I have discovered the antidote to this mounting frenzy of consumerism that I have been experiencing of late: Into Great Silence. This film was a visual feast and a balm to my restless soul. I've been feeling disconnected from the season of Advent. In fact, Advent started two Sundays ago and I didn't even notice 'til this past weekend. I usually use this beautiful season as a time to slow down and to reflect on what the story of Christmas represents to me today. Advent: a time of waiting... but what exactly am I waiting for?!

Into Great Silence allowed me to slow down and set my ego aside for a while. It was a wonderful meditation on time, rhythm, discipline and - of course - silence. This documentary (if I may even call it that) brings us into the daily life of the Carthusian monks living at their motherhouse, La Grande Chartreuse, in the French Alps. Professing to a life of prayer & solitude, these monks are nonetheless living a life of intentional community.

The entire film was shot by a single person who lived and worked with the monks for six months. He was not permitted to use any source of artificial light. The effect is stunning. It reminded me of the value of keeping it simple - therein lies the beauty. And I think I was all-the-more touched by this film because of my recent decision to attend a 7-day Christian Meditation retreat in Tuscany next July. This retreat at Monte Oliveto Maggiore has been on my "wish list" ever since I first heard of it. God willing, 2007 is the year my wish comes true!

So, if you find yourself getting caught up in all that Christmas is NOT, treat yourself to 160 minutes of pure peace & simplicity. Here's hoping Into Great Silence shows up at a theatre near you...

PAX,

No comments: