Sunday, February 24, 2008

On thin ice...

Some would say it's like riding a bike... although you may be a bit wobbly at first, you never really forget how to do it.

After more than three years away from the ice, I strapped on my skates today and joined the throngs on the our local World Heritage Site, the Rideau Canal. The sun was shining... the temperature was perfect... and I felt like I didn't have a care in the world. - except for trying to stay upright. I think I may have been a bit too ambitious however; I skated its entire length and back again - a cool 13km (+/-). I can already feel the muscle pain creeping in; I'll have to let you know how bad it is tomorrow.

Mind you, tomorrow's pain may not be related to the distance I undertook... there was, after all, the fall. That single, hard fall - legs flying out from under me as I lost contact with the earth and fell flat onto my back. Now, the true elegance of my chute was not characterized by how I fell, but rather by where I fell. There's something very humbling about creating a thud! just as you are entering a port-a-potty. Yes, friends... that's right. A port-a-potty. I toyed with the idea of removing my skates first, but I really, really had to go... Time was of the essence! And that's the price I paid: my pride - and a sore butt. :-)

Well, back to the Oscars... Go Canucks!

Pace e bene,

1 comment:

Becks said...

I hope it was OUTSIDE the portapottie and not inside (icky)!