Monday, December 10, 2007

T'is the season...?

"Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink,
taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each." - Thoreau

I have this quote on a print in my meditation room. Lately, I find myself reading it daily and appreciating its profound wisdom. T'is the season, as the saying goes... but what season is it exactly?! I have been unable to latch onto the Christmas cheer so far. To be honest, I am dismayed at what this time of year has become. It is so drenched in consumerism and political correctness, I almost feel like turning my back on it completely. Were it not for the messages beyond the hype... hope, peace, faith, joy. Advent - waiting and preparing for a new way.

As I go through yet another "season" of my own, I can acknowledge its influences. Right now, I am being lead to a time of rest, of strengthening, of returning to my source of Being. And it's not easy to do when the world around me is rushing around, frantically preparing for Christmas celebrations. Somehow, I don't think God will care that I don't have a Christmas tree... or a Crèche... or red velvet bows, shiny decorations and homemade baking. And I need to let that be OK within myself. Therein lies the challenge.

On a lighter note, I celebrated a birthday this past week. And Hubby has taken it upon himself to bring me - kicking & screaming - into the 21st century by buying me an IPod... a beautiful red one! I don't know the first thing about how to load it up and am looking forward to my first lesson later this evening. I really am quite a techno-peasant (despite having my own blog). I look forward to seeing how this tiny piece of technology will enhance my quest for health & balance and pray that I don't become one of those people who are constantly "wired for sound" and therefore absent from the present moment. I need to accept that, on its own, the technology is not bad - it all depends on how I use it. Wish me luck!

Pace e bene,

2 comments:

lala said...

There is something magical about going for a long run outside, with the world hustling around you, the smell of fresh air in your nostrils and lungs, the crunch of your feet along the road, and the sound of your favorite tunes from your iPod in your ears. pure bliss. I hope you enjoy it!!

Becks said...

Good luck. I'm sure you'll find the balance. If I can - you can. I Love my blue nano! :)
And BTW... happy belated birthday. I feel like a total dud because I knew it was coming up and well...