Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Fulfilling its iPurpose...

That tiny, wafer-thin piece of technology has fulfilled its iPurpose today... For the first time, I used it while running on the dreaded treadmill - a.k.a. "the dreadmill".

Last winter, it became clear to me that I am a fair-weather runner. Of course, it helped that we didn't get any snow until January. But that is certainly not the case this year!! Winter doesn't officially begin until this coming weekend, but I just finished shovelling our driveway yet AGAIN. The snow banks on either side of the path are higher than my waist, which makes shovelling a little challenging. Don't get me wrong - it's absolutely beautiful! I'll take this winter wonderland over rain or a greenish-brown Christmas any day. And, although I love walking in this weather, I'm none too crazy about running in it. Hence, the dreadmill...

Last winter, I found running on the treadmill excrutiatingly boring, and quickly found excuses to avoid it. That's when I first heard the whisper of the iPod: "I could make this bearable..." I have to admit, it was! It was an exercise in humility though. At one point at the gym today, I was in the groove: I had a good rhythm going... good posture... good pace... I may even have looked sorta cool. That's when my hand got caught in the wire for my earplugs and the iPod came tumbling off the little ledge. I bobbled it from hand to hand as I tried to catch it. Of course, a treadmill doesn't stop or slow down when you lose your stride. It becomes the enemy.

I managed a quick little triple step and a little lunge to the left, then regained my balance without being flung against the back wall of the gym. Phewf - that was close! Who's looking cool now?! :-) Oh, to be humbled by a treadmill... To think these guys make it look so easy!

Pace e bene,

2 comments:

Becks said...

That video was too fun! Now you have to download the music...
I was feeling like crap this afternoon and haven't been on the bike for over a week. I have a bit of a weird affection for the trainer (my equivalent to the treadmill) mainly b/c it lets me ride my own bike when I normally wouldn't/coudldn't, but I couldn't find it in me today. Now I I'm inspired to hop on it! Thx!

Anonymous said...

That visual of you on the dreadmill trying to catch your ipod... was great!!! Keep it up.
Sylvia