Saturday, April 07, 2007

Wishing you PAX...

A friend once asked me about the way I sign off on emails & blog posts: "PAX". She asked me what it stood for, perhaps thinking it was an acronym of some sort. Someone else in cyberworld recently seems to have misunderstood my use of the word, thinking it was my name. So I thought I'd explain...

PAX is the latin word for peace. In Roman mythology, Pax is also recognized as the goddess of Peace, one of the minor deities in the roman pantheon. When I sign off using this word, it is my way of wishing you Peace, even if it's just for a moment.

On this Holy Saturday, this wish seems especially fitting. In the Easter story, today represents the time when Jesus lay in the tomb. The world must have appeared particularly dark & troubling to his followers. How confused they must have been! Like so many of us, it must have been a struggle to continue to believe... to have faith... But as is told in many of the wisdom traditions, darkness and death often preceeds renewal and transformation. Nature also tells us this story time & time again. The caterpillar must spend time in a dark place in order to become a butterfly... The seed must die in order to produce the shoot...

And so, on this day which symbolizes those times in our life when we experience darkness and unknowing, it seems fitting to simply wish you...

PAX,

1 comment:

Steve Harper said...

I love it!

Much Pax and Ripples!

Steve