Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Impermanence...

I saw a house come down yesterday. Literally. Abandoned since before my time on this street, this house had admittedly become somewhat of an eyesore. It sits on a piece of land that is being developed and, yesterday, in just a few moments, it was nothing but a pile of splintered wood & glass... and hopefully good memories.

Whenever I see an abandoned house, I often wonder what stories would the walls tell - if only they could. What joys and sorrows have taken root in the very floorboards of the house? What made this particular house, a home?

As I watched the obnoxious heavy equipment reach out and pull down the walls of this house, I noticed there were still curtains in the windows. And suddenly, a glimpse of a mattress being tossed about in the chaos. Was this mattress a source of restful comfort for someone, a sanctuary after a long, hard day? Did it set the stage for exciting sexual fulfillment? Or was it a focal point for lonely isolation and tears?

I continued on my way to work, and the message that came to me was this: impermanence. The things that make up my home may some day end up in a heap, being gawked at by strangers. The things that are truly important, God... love... family... friendship..., are well beyond the reach of even the most powerful heavy equipment.

PAX

No comments: