Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Seduction

I'm being seduced by sequins & sparkles... by textiles, richly embroidered by unknown hands. Or more likely, machines. There is an explosion of colours and textures in clothing stores today. And I am drawn to them. But the "Made in China" label turns me off... and I question the hidden costs of them. I think twice... thrice... and put them back. Back on the rack.

I am troubled but what I don't know. Was this scarf embroidered by tiny, child hands? Was this colourful cotton skirt sewn by a woman owned by her boss? And I get confused... I don't know what is safe anymore. What price am I willing to pay for fashion? So, I think twice... thrice... and put it back. Back on the rack.

A few keystrokes on Google and I learn that there is such a thing as buying clean clothes (and it has nothing to do with laundry). Oh, the pressure! It was so much easier when I didn't even know what I didn't know... and still, I don't know enough. On second thought, I think I'd rather not know.