Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Living Lent-like...

"Lent begs us to empty our lives of the trivial and the superficial so that we can come to the things that last -- family, prayer, rich ideas, concern for the globe, the mind of Christ for the human condition." - Joan Chittister, OSB

I can't say I've been living very Lent-like lately. For the past several years, I've relished the arrival of Lent. It all started with a priest who joyfully declared "HAPPY LENT!" at the beginning of an Ash Wednesday service. He daringly proclaimed that Lent could be an exciting, meaningful and growthful time. More than simply giving up some trivial thing like chocolate or chips (gasp!), I vowed to use this period to strengthen my commitment to a God-driven life. I would make time every day for spiritual reading and reflective journalling. Giving up meat on Fridays was a concrete way to remind me to live with awareness. For the past several years, Lent has indeed been a happy time.

Something's different this year, and I need to let that be OK. Like a good Catholic girl, I'm feeling guilty. I suspect Jesus had precious little time for self-centred guilt... and I'm pretty sure I've never seen guilt preached or praised in the Gospels. So I pray for the willingness to let Life flow, according to God's will. Thy will, not mine.

Do you think God's will for me includes Baked Lay's Sour Cream & Cheddar potato chips?!

PAX,

2 comments:

Steph said...

I'm in agreement with Sean Zio. You've fed the hungry, housed the homeless, given to the poor - in funds and in spirit. I think you can eat your Sour Cream & Cheddar chips with a peaceful conscience. :)

jag said...

There's a reason they say friends & family warm and nourish the heart. Thanks for your support guys! And you know what? I had 1/2 bag of chips last night... and I felt sick to my stomach afterwards! Could it be that this restricted diet I've been on has pierced the cycle of my addiction to chips?! :-) PAX...