Monday, October 10, 2005

Giving Thanks...

On this Thanksgiving weekend, I'm taking a few moments to think about what I have to be grateful for. The practice of gratitude is one that need only take a few moments a day to cultivate, and the rewards greatly outweigh the effort.

When my life was in crisis, I remember keeping a gratitude journal. Every night before going to bed, I would write a short list of five things that I was grateful for that day. Somedays, the list reflected the basics: food, shelter, warm bed, functional body... Other days, I was able to expand my outlook and could appreciate the colour of the trees, a encouraging smile from a friend or the support of my family. I wonder why I stopped doing that? Too busy to stop and take notice perhaps? I tend to give thanks more frequently during the day now, but I don't take quiet time to reflect and develop an awareness of the many blessings I have in my life. In honour of Thanksgiving, here's my list for today - in random order:
- my evolving relationship with God
- AFG
- Hubby
- my somewhat-dysfunctional-yet-oh-so-loving family
- my home & neighbourhood

Yeah, I know. This is the big stuff, but what better day to say it OUT LOUD!!
What are you grateful for?

No comments: